Week 3 Assignment
1. Describe what type of data analysis would use linear correlation coefficients and line of best fits. Describe the benefits of comparing to a line of best fit. (10 points)
2.Raw data is found in the excel file titled “STA322 Week 3 Data – Tab Line of Best Fit.” Calculate the linear correlation coefficient of that data and describe what that information provides. Find the slope and y intercept and list the line of best fit. Take Microsoft Excel and graph this line of best fit, using the “trend” function. Determine how you will implement the results you received to improve the data, base it on a scenario for your career. (30 points)
3. Express the likelihood given as a probability between 0 and 1 for the following (20 points):
a. The Weather Channel stated that we have a 75% chance of being hit by the hurricane.
b. I have a 22% chance of winning the Sweepstakes.
c. When playing Yahtzee, I can roll 1 die and I need a 4. What are my chances?
d. The gender of the new baby being a girl.
4. A survey was taken at a K-6th grade school. Do you have enough time at lunch? Given the table below, answer the following questions (20 points):
If b represents the event of selecting a response from a boy, find P(Ђ).
Find the probability that the selected answer was made by a girl or was answered no.
If g represents the event of selecting a response from a girl, find P (ḡ).
Find the probability that the selected answer was made by a boy and answered yes.
5. Find the number of ways that 6 Discussion responses can be ordered by calculating 6! (5 points)
6. Find the number of ways that the 5 children can line up to go to recess by calculating 5! (5points)
Use Permutations or Combinations on the next 3 examples:
7. If you are allowed to use numbers 1 – 20 and need to choose the passcode of an exact 4 digit code, how many possibilities are there? (10 points)
8. If there are 25 students in the class and we need to select a President and Secretary for our meetings, how many possibilities are there? (10 points)
9. In playing a card game, I am dealt 6 cards, how many possibilities are there for my hand? (10 points)