Health Communication SLP
The Session Long Project entails going through the process of influencing policymakers. In prior SLP assignments you wrote a letter to “raise a concern” and “oppose a position” or “support a position.” While these are direct ways of influencing policymakers by letter writing, there are additional indirect ways that can also achieve your objectives. Some ways are writing a letter to the editor or “Op-Eds.”
Make sure to review the Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council “Writing Op-Eds and letters to the editor” page to help you complete this assignment.
1. Topic that is on Teen Pregnancy
2. Pick a local newspaper to write to (you can use your hometown paper if you desire). Provide the name of the newspaper and the city.
3. Write a one-page letter to the editor.
4. Write one page of text on tips for writing a letter to the editor.
5. What are some advantages of writing a letter to the editor compared to the letters from prior SLP assignments?
Recap: Your assignment should consist of: A one-page letter to the editor and one page on tips/advantages for writing a letter to the editor.
Length: 2 pages.